Irondean - One more Iron Madman

This is the training blog for Dean Sakihama. I’m not a health nut. I’m a distance junkie. The healthiest things I’ve done in my life are shortening my commute, leaving toxic jobs, finding good friends, and taking up running. In the triathlon world I fell in love with long distances.

Sunday, December 10, 2006

LA, Base Training, and the Beach

One of the most under rated pieces in the life of a new triathlete is the base period. It is a time for building, rebuilding, and extening the base level of fitness and probably more importantly for training the mind for the long days to come. resisting the urge to go out hard during this period is one of the hardest things to do because it feells counter intuitive. But keeping the intensity low allows the body time to adjust and prepare.

This weekend our team is spending our time training and camping at Leo Carillo, a local beach just north of Malibu. That's right, during a time of the year when most of the country is getting snow and other wintery gifts, we're going camping!

Our gift this weekend was a few hours of on again off again rain, followed by an hour of really heavy rain. On the bright side the rain will clear out the LA smog for a day or making our run better, and the cold will make my coffee taste better.

peace -dean

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home