Irondean - One more Iron Madman

This is the training blog for Dean Sakihama. I’m not a health nut. I’m a distance junkie. The healthiest things I’ve done in my life are shortening my commute, leaving toxic jobs, finding good friends, and taking up running. In the triathlon world I fell in love with long distances.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Good Gear - Xlab flatwing system

Ahh, the x-wing, I mean the xlab flatwing.

When it comes to gear I love things that are adaptable to the situation, whatever that situation may be. In the field, on the road, in a race, very little is more important than being able to have the fuel you’re going to need for the time that you’ll be out on training/racing/enjoying the scenery with you when you need it.

You’ve probably all heard about how much you’re supposed to be consuming as you work, that’s both in calories and fluid. It takes months to figure out how much to bring along and in what proportions, what won’t upset the stomach, and what we’re invariably going to want in hour four of our ride. The question becomes how to carry everything that you’re going to need. Most bike frames have at least one bottle cage mount, and many have two. At best that’s two hours maybe two and a half hours of planned nutrition. If you’re only going out for two hours this is perfect. If you’re training for something longer, say an ironman or other long course, we’re going to need some help.

You could take along a camelback, they’re great for water, but I hate cleaning them out. You could hide bottles on the side of the road, but that takes some planning and gambling. You could stop off and just get some more water at a 7-11 or a gas station, and you probably should. But do you want to do that every two hours? Maybe you do. Not for me to say.

For me, I like to pack it with me. A saddle mounted solution like this one or similar systems offered by manufacturers like profile design and others, offer the ability to add two more bottle cages increasing your range over the long haul. The xlab flatwing system offers a little bit more. With the addition of a threaded nut you can carry your CO2 & delivery unit, and carry a spare tube or two with a set of Velcro straps. I’ve been using this for a season and find that I use one extra bottle cage on the back and use the other side of the wing to hang my spare tube(s).

I’m a fan. ‘nuff said.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home