Irondean - One more Iron Madman

This is the training blog for Dean Sakihama. I’m not a health nut. I’m a distance junkie. The healthiest things I’ve done in my life are shortening my commute, leaving toxic jobs, finding good friends, and taking up running. In the triathlon world I fell in love with long distances.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

One of my favorite rides - Malibu - Latigo Canyon Rd

I say Ironman... Go on, question my sanity. But not before you check out one of my favorite bike workouts.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=613681

As a tool, mapping services like the gmap-pedometer are amongst my favorites.

The Gmap-pedometer site uses google's mapping API, markes off each mile (can be toggled on and off), and mixes in topographical data to allow users to see the changes in elevation over mileage. Web 2.0 adds the ability to use all the mapping features that google maps users have grown to love in addition to being able to edit routes by recording, then double clicking on the map to set way points.

Drawbacks? You can only plot out your waypoints in straight lines. From where I sit, that's it. In a click you can "Clear points and starover" and save the route that you've created.

Oh, by the way, the route features a steady four mile warm-up, and nearly 2000 feet of climbing through the beautiful Santa Monica Mountains over the next twelve miles. The rest of the ride is descents, small rollers, and views of the Pacific to die for. Let me know when you want to go and I'll ride it with you. -dean

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home