Irondean - One more Iron Madman

This is the training blog for Dean Sakihama. I’m not a health nut. I’m a distance junkie. The healthiest things I’ve done in my life are shortening my commute, leaving toxic jobs, finding good friends, and taking up running. In the triathlon world I fell in love with long distances.

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Good Gear - Hydration #1 - The Aero bottle

Behold, the Aero bottle, or Aerodrink as deemed by the manufactuer, Profile Design. The bottle itself holds 32 fluid ozs if you fill it up to the top of the bottle. The main advantage to using a system like this is that it was designed to fit between the aero bars of your bike. Which means that the straw is right in front of your face! There is no excuse for forgetting to drink. Without a solution like this one would actually HAVE TO REACH either down to the bottle cages on the frame or behind the seat to wrestle a drink. Personally I've found that I drink as much as I should without even thinking about it using a system like this.


The second advantage is that it allows you to mix your drinks on the fly, put the martini shaker down! If you use Motortabs or other effervescing products you can drop these right in to the bottle and they will dissolve in minutes. You can mix as much or as little as you want. On the other hand if you're using a premix or course supplies, Gatorade Endurance and/or water, you can pour what you need out of any of those bottles straight in to this one. When I discovered that I was in need of something cold to drink but had already mixed up the bottles that I was going to be using for the day, I was able to slightly dilute the mixture, which was already warm after a few hours on the road, with ice cold water.

An aerobottle is a great solution for those looking for an easy way to stay hydrated on the course.

Aerobottle = Good Gear

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home