Irondean - One more Iron Madman

This is the training blog for Dean Sakihama. I’m not a health nut. I’m a distance junkie. The healthiest things I’ve done in my life are shortening my commute, leaving toxic jobs, finding good friends, and taking up running. In the triathlon world I fell in love with long distances.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Absense makes the heart grow fonder..?

In the spirit of mock conversations with higher powers. Hello, my name is Dean and I'm an injured athlete. Or I WAS an injured athlete. In March, I ran a race. It was the ironman California, a.k.a.. California 70.3, California half. For me it was a great day.

I learned a lot about where I was in my training and how I was setup to run Sometimes you have to sit down and reflect. Unfortunately for me I have to get injured or sick (or both) to slow down long enough to do so.

So here I am sitting down. OK, so it's in a bar but so what. Let's take the good news first. Good times were had by myself and my iron teammates. My swim pace minus a little open water panic was smooth and steady, on pace to beat my 2006 Ironman Coeur d'Alene swim by close to ten minutes. I finished the race upright and smiling, meaning I didn't over extend myself.

Now the not so good. I got tired near the end and lost my form. After losing my running form I stressed a tendon in my foot and could barely walk on it without wincing. I took three weeks off and now am finally back to training, and putting in some long mileage.

Therein lies the good news. In getting in my first new miles of the post injury period I realized something about myself that made me smile.

I missed it.

Three weeks off had cleared out my mid season burnout and focused me. My brain was, is telling me that I want to run. I can't wait to get on my bike. I want to move. I want the distance. And so with six and a half weeks to go.. Bring it. It's time to train again and I can't wait. Let's get going! (and someone bring me some motortabs!) -ds

http://irondean.blogspot.com

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home