Irondean - One more Iron Madman

This is the training blog for Dean Sakihama. I’m not a health nut. I’m a distance junkie. The healthiest things I’ve done in my life are shortening my commute, leaving toxic jobs, finding good friends, and taking up running. In the triathlon world I fell in love with long distances.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Triathlon and balance

Life has a balance, so people keep telling me. Things have places and spaces as do other things in our lives. Earlier this season I was sitting with Jen, one of my ironteammates, and we were joking about how we were dating this raving lunatic named triathlon. My significant other, "Triathlon", was just so needy, we thought, but on our minds day and night. We were spending all our time with and money on "Triathlon." There were days when I couldn't talk about anything other than "Triathlon" and it was starting to drive our friends nuts. More than that people were starting to say that they missed seeing us and the things that we did together before we both met "Triathlon."

What can I say? This sport/hobby/life is demanding and is made more so when you throw in a competitive spirit and the desire to grow and be better every time you hit the starting line. All I can truly offer is this, take the time when you need it. How will you know? You'll feel yourself missing friends and family, and sleeping in a bit more than you remembered when you started out on this. Don't let it get to the point where it's "them or me" before you take a minute and step back for a day or two.

I'm guessing you wouldn't be doing the sport if you didn't like it, and so long as you like it keep on doing it. A day or two won't hurt you quite as much as you think. Just plan on coming back... or we'll end up missing you. -dean

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home