Irondean - One more Iron Madman

This is the training blog for Dean Sakihama. I’m not a health nut. I’m a distance junkie. The healthiest things I’ve done in my life are shortening my commute, leaving toxic jobs, finding good friends, and taking up running. In the triathlon world I fell in love with long distances.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Gear - Perpetuem

First up is Perpetuem, a fine product from Hammer Nutrition.
Hammer has come a long way in engineering their products to work for distance athletes for the duration.

One serving of this stuff, was 260 calories from 54 grams of carbohydrates, most of that from maltodextrin, a long chain carbohydrate. I mixed almost 1.5 servings per 22 oz bottle and found that it dissolved with a little work and stayed that way for the duration of my workouts. I liked the mild flavor and could handle it repeatedly over a long workout, sometimes 5-7 bottles worth.

A note here, there is 6g of protein per serving. Now we've entered in to some dicey ground. The debate over whether or not protein should be a part of your nutrition regiment during exercise or race is a hot topic of debate. Personally I'm not sure. See, honest. Dean = not sure about protein. Some people say that it increases active recover or feeds muscle. Some people say that it throws a monkey wrench in to the digestive process. Some people say that it does nothing.

Dean still = not sure.

Perpetuem remains on my shelf as a staple product for 2-3 hour workouts. The jury is still out as to whether or not it causes some level of problem in my stomach or if it is any of a hundred other factors including but not limited to stress, over training, poor combination of solid foods, improper pre-workout nutrition, sleep deprivation, stress (oh, did I say that one already), heat, and the list goes on and on.

If there's one thing I can say about all of this it is this, think about it. Yes, you heard me right, think about it. Read what you can get your hands on. Try the free samples. Buy small bottles of concentrate or single serving pouches, and try it out. What works for one person may not work for you. You may thrive on nothing but fructose (fruit sugar) based sports drinks. You may reject protein completely. You may discover, like a friend of mine, that vitamin water though carb free, and gu's with a power bar thrown in are the perfect mix.

You have to try it. In the meantime Perpeteum gets a 4 our of a 5 rating in my book for being good, but with a small reservation due to something unknown. Plenty of carbs, salts, and a nice mild taste, a little like vanilla if you ask me.

Links:

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home