Irondean - One more Iron Madman

This is the training blog for Dean Sakihama. I’m not a health nut. I’m a distance junkie. The healthiest things I’ve done in my life are shortening my commute, leaving toxic jobs, finding good friends, and taking up running. In the triathlon world I fell in love with long distances.

Friday, March 09, 2007

Race Season : Can you feel it?

Well whether you like it or love it race season is upon us again. Personally I think the Pacific Shorline Marathon (rather the half) on Superbowl Sunday started off my season, but that's just me. Living in Southern California means having access to training weather almost twelve months out of the year. This year we've been hit with a little cold spell. And by cold, I mean there's no reason why a 7 am bike ride should start when it's 37 degrees and I'm standing in view of the Pacific Ocean this close to Mexico.

Kicking off my triathlon season with close to ten of my Team in Training Ironteam teammates will be the Ford Ironman California 70.3 (formally Ralphs California Half). I volunteered at this race last year and it was a tremendous day. A 1.2 mile swim in 54 degree water, a 56 mile bike ride that started off in a light drizzle and ended in sunshine, followed by a beautiful 13.1 mile run. I'm amazed every year by triathletes in general and by those who seek out Ironman or long course triathlons in particular. What can I say?

Our Ironteam had a list of "suggested races" put together by our coaches Paul Ruggiero and Kevin Bradshaw, Ford's Ironman California 70.3 race was/is one of them. I hope that my training comes through. Our Team in Training Ironteam will also be doing the 2007 Wildflower Long Course as a tune up race. Hope to see you out there as well. After that it's on to beautiful Coeur d'Alene Idaho for the Ford Ironman Coeur d'Alene. And then it's just naptime. Trust me, it's called naptime.

More importantly this weekend is daylight savings day! I'm sure that's not really what it's called but you know what I mean. One more hour of daylight to train in as the days get longer anyway. Full speed ahead! Good luck to us all.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home