Irondean - One more Iron Madman

This is the training blog for Dean Sakihama. I’m not a health nut. I’m a distance junkie. The healthiest things I’ve done in my life are shortening my commute, leaving toxic jobs, finding good friends, and taking up running. In the triathlon world I fell in love with long distances.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Small Shops

In any large city you're bound to find a chain store that'll sell you your whole bike setup from helmet & jersey to tri-specific equipment ranging from aerobars and aerobottles to rear mounted hydration gear like the xlab flatwing. More often than not it's a one-stop shop with great deals and loyalty programs. Don't get me wrong they probably even have a discount deal with the local tri/cycle club in the community. I love 'em, have their card and get their discounts and many times they are my first stop.

On the other hand there are the smaller local shops. Many times these are powered by enthusiasts, and independant of chainstore responsibilities. Despite their lower buying power, these shops often have items that you won't find in some of the larger stores which cater to the masses. Many of these shops cater to a particular manufacturer or handle small runs of clothing.
Recently I found a Team Discovery Jersey for $40 instead of the usual $85 or $90 on the sale rack. The combination of a clothing blowout and lack of foot traffic to the store granted me this huge savings. (Love it!)

Visit the small shops. Support the locals. There are deals to be had.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home